The first match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 was played between England and New Zealand on October 5, 2023, at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, India. The match began at 8:30 AM IST.
New Zealand won the toss and elected to bowl in the first match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 against England in Ahmedabad, India on October 5, 2023.
England’s batting performance in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 match against New Zealand
|Jonny Bairstow||33||3||5||74.28||c Mitchell b Santner||Santner|
|Dawid Malan||14||2||0||205.83||c †Latham b Henry||Henry|
|Joe Root||77||6||1||189.53||b Phillips||Phillips|
|Harry Brook||25||6||2||156.25||c Conway b Ravindra||Ravindra|
|Moeen Ali||11||7||1||106.47||b Phillips||Phillips|
|Jos Buttler (c)†||43||4||2||221.02||c †Latham b Henry||Henry|
|Liam Livingstone||20||2||1||90.90||c Henry b Boult||Boult|
|Sam Curran||14||9||1||73.68||c †Latham b Henry||Henry|
|Chris Woakes||11||2||1||91.66||c Young b Santner||Santner|
|Adil Rashid||15||3||0||115.38||not out|
|Mark Wood||13||4||1||92.85||not out|
|Extras (w 6)||6|
Fall of wickets:
1-40 (Dawid Malan, 7.4 overs) 2-64 (Jonny Bairstow, 12.5 overs) 3-94 (Harry Brook, 16.6 overs) 4-118 (Moeen Ali, 21.2 overs) 5-188 (Jos Buttler, 33.2 overs) 6-221 (Liam Livingstone, 38.5 overs) 7-229 (Joe Root, 41.1 overs) 8-250 (Chris Woakes, 44.6 overs) 9-252 (Sam Curran, 45.4 overs)
New Zealand’s batting performance in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 match against England
|Devon Conway||152||12||1||147.19||not out|
|Will Young||0||0||0||0.00||c †Buttler b Curran||Curran|
|Rachin Ravindra||123||9||6||115.12||not out|
|Extras (b 4, lb 1, w 3)||8|
The following players did not bat in New Zealand’s innings against England in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023:
- Daryl Mitchell
- Tom Latham (c)†
- Glenn Phillips
- Mark Chapman
- James Neesham
- Mitchell Santner
- Matt Henry
- Trent Boult
Player of the Match
New Zealand won their first match of the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup by 9 wickets against England. The player of the match was Rachin Ravindra, who scored an unbeaten 123 runs.
Ravindra put on a 273-run partnership with Devon Conway (152*) for the third wicket, which is the fourth-highest partnership in World Cup history. Ravindra’s innings were composed and assured, and he showed great maturity to see his team through to victory.
Ravindra’s performance was even more impressive considering that he was making his World Cup debut. He is a rising star in New Zealand cricket, and he is sure to play a major role for his team in the years to come.
- England batted first in their match against New Zealand in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023. They got off to a good start, with Jonny Bairstow and Dawid Malan putting on a 40-run partnership. However, they lost a few wickets in quick succession and were struggling at 94/3.
- Joe Root and Harry Brook then put on a 64-run partnership to help England recover. Root scored a well-made 77, but Brook was dismissed for 25. England continued to lose wickets at regular intervals and were eventually bowled out for 282 in 50 overs.
- None of the England batsmen were able to convert their starts into big scores. Joe Root was the only batsman to score a half-century. The New Zealand bowlers bowled well and were able to keep the England batsmen under pressure.
New Zealand Innings
- New Zealand batted first in the match against England in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023. They scored a total of 283 runs in 36.2 overs, at a run rate of 7.78. Devon Conway and Rachin Ravindra scored unbeaten centuries, with Conway scoring 152* and Ravindra scoring 123*. Will Young was the only batsman to be dismissed, caught behind by Jos Buttler off Sam Curran for 0.
- The New Zealand batsmen showed great application and skill throughout their innings. They played with patience and rotated the strike well. Conway and Ravindra put on a 273-run partnership for the second wicket, which is the highest partnership for New Zealand in a World Cup match.
- The New Zealand batsmen were also able to take advantage of the England bowlers. They hit 26 fours and 5 sixes in their innings.
- Overall, the New Zealand batting performance was outstanding. They set a very challenging target for England, which they were unable to chase down.
New Zealand defeated England by 9 wickets in the opening match of the 2023 Cricket World Cup, thanks to a record-breaking 273-run partnership between Devon Conway and Rachin Ravindra.